Sunday 20 August 2017

Hornsea

After leaving Tophill Low we decided to pay a quick visit to Hornsea, just to see the sea! Quick visit it was too, it chucked it down and we got soaked and ended up eating chips in the car (I mean it couldn't have been more a more typically British summer moment).

We managed a quick walk on the beach though and I tested out my Gull id skills (non existent as they are) on the few stood on the edge of the sea.



Black-headed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Herring Gull?


Black-headed Gull 


I think Herring and Lesser Black-backed gulls here?


 Lesser Black-backed gulls?

I mean really, Gulls just like to mess with your mind don't they!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely vistas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must admit gulls are one group I tend to avoid - all those different plumage phases :( It is bad enough learning the adult plumage of the more common species!! Perhaps one day..... especially if we did ever move to the Isle of Wight!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gulls, plus Waders for me are a struggle! Still i'll keep giving it a go!

      Delete
  3. Gulls, shore birds, and sparrows! It cleared up nice in the end for your day at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we're limited with Sparrows so they're ok to ID but the others.......

      Delete