Wednesday 23 August 2017

Into the Woods

I've been out into the woods a few times, mostly at the moment it's full of Woodpigeons and Dunnocks.


I did finally see the Woodpecker properly when it flew into a tree overhead and lingered a little while.





One morning 3 Chiffchaff flew through the trees near the entrance, chasing each other around the branches.



The blackberries are starting to ripen and are sneaking in everywhere.


Unfortunately there was bad news for the fields (known as the Pit Hills) at the bottom of the woods, where we did our butterfly counts last month, when it set on fire last Tuesday, no idea yet as to how it started I don't think, the fire brigade did a good job putting it out but it's done a fair bit of damage.

This is what the area looked like 




Now it looks like this in great big patches









I don't know how long it takes for things to recover from this kind of fire damage and i'm hoping it does recover well, these fields were full of crickets, beetles, bugs, butterflies and bees, time will tell.

4 comments:

  1. Great woodpecker shots....I bet the fire burned areas will bounce back quickly and most especially in the upcoming spring it will really grow well. Prescribed fire here helps an open grassy area in that it forces seeds that are laying dormant to pop open and sprout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope so, we'll see this time next year!

      Delete
  2. Oh all those poor little bugs that would have been caught in the first, perhaps a fwe other things as well :(

    Moorlands fires are not unusual around here and although it is very sad for any lost wildlife (especially when they happen at nesting time and when it was a deliberate fire) the land does always seem to recover fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, I was looking through my photos from before, there was so much life in there :(

      I hope so, it'll be interesting to see how it does recover.

      Delete